The Great British Summer is finally here and it's a scorcher!
We can’t think of a better way to cool down than with one of these frozen treats. This recipe in the perfect blend of fresh watermelon and mint with a little adult kick – the ultimate summertime treat.
WATERMELON, MINT AND VODKA ICE LOLLIES
4 cups of watermelon, roughly chopped
50 g caster sugar
60 ml water
A large bunch of fresh mint, roughly chopped
The juice of 2 limes
75 ml vodka (you can leave this out if you want to make it child friendly)
• Combine sugar, mint and water in a saucepan and stir over medium heat to dissolve.
• Allow the syrup to cool and then pass through a fine sieve to remove mint
• Blend the watermelon to a puree and add the lime juice.
• Strain through a fine sieve /muslin cloth to remove any seeds and bits and them combine with the mint syrup and vodka.
• Divide the mixture evenly between the ice lolly moulds and then freeze until solid. (As this contains alcohol this could take up to 24 hours – make them tonight and they’l be ready when you get home tomorrow!)
For a little twist why not use basil rather than mint or tequila rather than vodka. The skies the limit!
Inspired to make them yourself? Make sure you tweet your creations to @createfood before you tuck in!
Make sure you sign up to the Create Newsletter, tips and tricks from the Create chefs, great new places to eat and drink in London, all the latest Create events news and much more.