Celebrate national barbecue week with this delicious vegan burger recipe
It's the (long) weekend and National Barbecue Week conveniently starts from Monday 27th May.
This will be the 23rd BBQ Week, which was established with the hope to change consumer attitudes towards barbecues along with growing the market within the UK. British Barbecues have come a long way from the traditional beef burger, simple salad and corn on the cob and now cater to a variety of dietary requirements.
The Jack fruit has recently become a vegan sensation in the western world, commonly used in overpriced trendy street food markets. This fruit is part of the Moraceae plant family, which also includes fig, mulberry and breadfruit but is used for mostly savoury dishes due to its neutral flavour and meat-like texture.
So why not mix it up and try this mouthwatering pulled jackfruit recipe this weekend?
- PULLED JACKFRUIT -
2 cans of Jackfruit (Green)
160 g BBQ sauce
2 Tablespoons of coconut oil
- SALAD -
200g Iceberg lettuce
10g Fresh Mint
50g Baby spinach
2 tbsp Olive oil
2 tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar
- BURGER -
4 Bread Rolls
1 (150 g) Onion, red
4 tablespoons BBQ sauce
1. Wash the iceberg lettuce, mint and spinach and then cut into small pieces before putting them into a bowl.
2. Add the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season the mixture with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Open the cans of Pulled Jackfruit and drain all the water.
4. Heat the coconut oil in a large pan and add the jackfruit. Roast it until it turns brown.
5. Add the BBQ sauce and fry it a little further.
6. Meanwhile, pluck the jackfruit apart in the pan.
7. Cut the rolls and red onion into rings (you may want to pan fry the onions).
Now show in the following order: salad, pulled jackfruit, BBQ sauce and onion.
8. Build your burger from the bottom with salad, pulled jackfruit, extra BBQ sauce if needed and onion.