Forget cookies and cream, we have something better!
In celebration of UK Coffee Week, we are sharing this fun Vegan Coffee and Donut shake recipe
to all of you with a sweet tooth!
1 cup iced coffee
1 cup vanilla almond milk
2 cups coffee ice cream
1 cup vanilla bean ice cream
1-2 large cake donuts
4 ice cubes
cinnamon sugar for rim, if desired
Vegan Donut ingredients
1/2 cup warm water (110°F)
1 teaspoon of yeast (half an envelope)
1 tablespoon golden flax meal
3 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons vital wheat gluten (pure gluten flour)
1/8 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
1. Place all your ingredients in a blender
and process until smooth.
2. If desired, wet the rim of the glass and coat it in cinnamon sugar before pouring the milkshake in.
(Your could also use melted chocolate for this)
Vegan Donut Instructions
1. Activate the yeast by mixing with warm water.
2. Meanwhile, combine the all-purpose flour with the pure gluten flour. Alternatively, you can substitute bread flour for the all-purpose flour and leave out the extra gluten. Do not use gluten-free flour for this recipe.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the foamy yeast mixture, sugar, flax meal, coconut oil and optional vanilla. Whisk well until fairly smooth.
4. Add the flour slowly, making sure to mix well. You can reduce the amount of flour that you add once the mixture starts to form a dough. Add only enough flour to form a soft dough that is slightly sticky.
5. Knead until fairly smooth and place back into the bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel and let it rest in a warm, draft-free location for one hour or until doubled in size.
6. Scoop the dough out gently on to a floured surface. Gently roll the dough out to 1 cm thickness.
7. Cut out the donuts using donut/cookie cutters
8. Place cut donuts and donut holes on to a lightly floured parchment on a baking sheet and cover with a warm, lightly damp towel or a sheet of plastic with the bottom side dusted with flour.
9. Let the uncooked donuts rise for 45 minutes to one hour or until at least doubled in size.
10. When the dough has risen, prepare a saucepan or fryer with canola oil. Heat to 190°C. During cooking, try to keep the oil at this temperature for best results. Prepare a wire rack for cooling.
11. Use a slotted spoon to gently lower a donut into the hot oil. Cook only one layer of donuts at one time. Each donut will take around 30 to 45 seconds on the first side to become golden brown. Flip and cook for about 30 seconds or until that side is golden brown.
12. Remove the donuts when cooked carefully with tongs (or chopsticks) and let drain on the wire rack. Continue with the rest.
Glaze the hot donuts on one or both sides.
Place back onto the rack and sprinkle on any toppings you'd like.
Let the donuts cool for 15 minutes or more before eating.
If you don't want coconut-tasting donuts, use refined coconut oil as it has the aroma removed.